Wednesday, September 29, 2004

apparently staying up late kills my ability to articulate my point

I've always been interested in limits. Like something is what it is until some point, then you change one tiny thing about it and it's no longer the same. If you push a pen into your arm, you can tolerate the pain to a point, but at some point the tiniest bit of pressure is going to make you pull it away. If you go to buy something, you'll purchase it for a certain price but at some point, one more penny onto the price is going to make you walk out of the store with nothing. If someone asks you what time it is, you'll most likely round it off to something like 2:30. In your mind there is some threshold that as soon as the time crosses it, you'll say 2:45 instead of 2:30. It's these psychological kind of limits that you never really think about but determine every snap decision you make that just kind of fascinate me. There is a point where you'll speed through the yellow light, and one where you'll stop. There's a point where you'll wait for someone who's is late, and one where you'll leave. You'll remember something you were told all the way up to the exact point in time when you forget it. There was a point tonight where I was actually going try to get to bed, but once it hit a certain time, I didn't care how late I stayed up. The thing that I find most interesting about these is the exact point at which the mind switches from Plan A to Plan B. Maybe you don't exactly understand what I'm talking about, or maybe you do and don't find it interesting, I don't know. Odds are you'll remember this blog next time you go flying through a yellow light, though.

-alex

3 comments:

steven fregonese said...

wow alex, i couldn't agree more. i could relate to every example you made--especially the one more penny more thing. like bidding on ebay, i'm willing to bid on a dirtbike at 1400 and then 1500 and then 1550 but suddenly fifty dollars more just seems like the asymptope of my hyperbola, if you will.
Well i know you already know this, but you're a very smart kid. i'm not just talking book-smart though; some kids just can't reason like you can.
also, this very topic has been stuck in the back of my mind, but i have never really addressed the point. thanks for laying out the facst of human nature fo me. anyways, everything you've said is very true and you should rule the world... to a degree, of course
-steve

Anonymous said...

yeah, like strongbad sings: everybody to the limit.

pink_blackbutterfly said...

I don't how i came about reading your blog, but i found it very interesting. what you said is very true.