Sunday, March 06, 2005

the intricacies of chocolate and cheese

Putting these two topics in the same paragraph is kind of like mixing, say, chocolate and cheese. They're both alright on their own, together they're probably disgusting but the combination sounds interesting enough that most of us would give it a try. The first topic is a question, the second one is, well, also a question. So read on.
Have you ever thought about how rarely someone accurately answers a question you ask? We all ask people questions as part of daily life. In most cases the answer satisfies us so we move on. But if we stopped for a second and considered if our question was truly answered, we might be surprised at the answer. Think of a simple question....Hey, can you give me some help? "Give me a couple minutes." Ah ha! I did not answer your question. You assume that this means I will help you, in a few minutes of course. But really my answer has no connection to your question. I played you like a fool, like a fool! The problem is that in many cases, answering a question accurately sounds archaic or even rude. Do you know what time it is? "Yes, yes I do." And by actually answering what you've asked, I've annoyed you and ended our conversation. So we settle for giving responses that will simply appease the inquirer rather than address the question that was asked. What do you think of that car? "I like it." Well that's fantastic, but I didn't ask whether you like it or not. What's up? We've all heard the clever little answer to this classic. What kind of question is that anyway? What's up? Clearly we have an astonishing mastery of our language if we can come up with a dandy like "What's up?" In retrospect there's no real solution to all this. If you actually answer people's questions they're going to look at you funny and probably won't ask you questions anymore. So why did I write all this? It's probably best for the credibility of this rant that I don't try to answer that question.
How much extra gas does your car burn because it has an antenna? Think about it. Obviously the antenna creates wind resistance, which creates a force on your car in the opposite direction that the car is moving, which means the engine has to work harder to move the car. Of course the wind resistance is tiny, but it still exists. Let's say you have the privilege of owning a particularly reliable car, perhaps a 1997 Toyota Camry (ahem), that lasts for about 200,000 miles. The amount of extra gas the engine consumes is probably miniscule but the number still exists. Think of all the factors you'd have to consider to actually calculate this amount. You'd have to consider the altitude in order to find air pressure and obviously the altitude is changing with every dip or hill. That alone would be difficult enough. Then you'd have to take into account the speed of the car, the surface area of the antenna, wind speed, mileage of the car without an antenna, other measurements of the car that I don't even understand, and so on. I'm sure the master equation would be littered with atmospheric and structural constants and such. Everything considered, actually figuring out an exact number is impossible, right? I doubt it. Keep a couple instruments on the car that record factors like altitude and such and I'd imagine that you'd have enough information to calculate it. Not easy, but not impossible...I guess this really isn't as interesting as I thought it was when I was in the shower a while ago. Umm...yea, this paragraph is cheese, the first is definitely chocolate.

-alex

1 comment:

steven fregonese said...

alex, i've already heard this question from you, but (as you seem to imply in the first part of your blog) i probably didn't directly answer the question. so my answer will continue to be evasive and vague, but I thought I should put it in writing: the antenna is a cylindrical shape, and thus- one of the must aerodynamic parts of the car. Also, due to a lack of efficiency of your trusty Toyota’s engine… your answer cannot accurately be calculated. In each explosion, your spark plug fails to actually ignite all of the gasoline. This is also due to octane ratings, and impurities in the air mixture… but nonetheless, that is why they invented catalytic converters (to burn up the extra gas).
With all this technical B.S. said, we can only assume that the miniscule amount of gasoline used to move that antenna can’t be tracked. *cuz keeping track of the gasoline used is an essential part of the equation.
There are too many variables that could never be accounted for… no matter how big the equation. I’ll admit that it would use some gas, but that number is too small to matter to real people. My best guess as to the number of gallons used over 200,000 miles of driving is around------1X10^[-infinityX10^(-bagillionX10)] or maybe you should multiply that times pie?
I think the more important question is what antenna ball should you buy to save gas money;)
-steve
ps- okay, I’m not a mechanical engineer yet… but when I am. Oh boy. Watch out! I think I’ll do my college thesis on this topic!