Thursday, October 14, 2004

the baseball metaphors run wild/i would love some cheese with my whine

As I have stated before, I have avoided the usual high school drama scene. I also try to keep teenage related stuff out of my blog because I know there are a litany of journals and such out there for you to find. Today, I must regress. Today, I am simply another young adult trying to fight his/her way through the dangerous, arduous, tedious, inevitable game that is high school. Today I will do what we all have done or will do at some point; I will simply complain about something that isn't nearly as bad as I will most assuredly make it sound. As I sit in class looking off in the distance as if the answer to my troubles is posted up next to the periodic table on the far wall, I can picture myself sitting in front of the television, watching myself look off in the distance as if the answer to my troubles was posted up next to the periodic table on the far wall. Add a little music, some overly dramatic fade-to-black transitions, and scenes from next week's episode and I've got myself a primetime hit. I don't like being the guy who puts a rift in between people. I don't like knowing when all these people get together that my name will undoubtedly come up in some fashion. With nothing but good intents, I have succeeded in finding the balance in a well established group of friends and beating it to a lifeless pulp with a Fayville Slugger corked with secrets and drama. I can't step out of the batter's box, but I know if I stand in for the next pitch it's going to clock me in the head and that when I wake up there isn't going to be anyone on the field. I made my choice, I took the pitch, I told the catcher to call for one high and inside, and he did. I'll take my medicine, I'll take one in the noggin, but I hope when it's over I can take my base and keep playing the game I love with the people who I enjoy the most.

-alex

No comments: