Tuesday, May 24, 2005

conveyor belt memories

You graduate high school once. It seems like a "Yea, so?" kind of fact, but you graduate high school one time only. Let's go the chart: You can get multiple degress, buy multiple houses, get multiple cars, even get married a couple of times...Cap and gown, Pomp and Circumstance? Once, and only once. Everyone has a high school metaphor. Every valedictorian is capable of coming up with some "High school is like..." speech to make more profound an event that is already made of and drowning in profundity. Actually I guess a "High school is like..." speech would be a simile, not a metaphor...moving on. Here's my metaphor. High school is one of those moving walkways at the airport. We see it, and it looks like it'll be fun. We get on, quickly decide that the whole thing is the same, and eagerly await the end. But once we're there we realize how unique the ride is and how we've taken the whole thing for granted. From now on we don't have anything under our feet to keep us up and carry us along. We had one ride, and in a matter of minutes, it ends. Now we just have to find our way to the terminal, wait 3 months, and catch our flight. Although I'm not sure how I feel how about getting on an airplane dressed like this....

-alex

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oddly familiar-

steven fregonese said...

familiar is an understatement
-steve

Anonymous said...

a grad speech conspiracy maybe?

Anonymous said...

Loved this speech Alex read at graduation- aren't you glad that is over?! Rather than reading countless pages of Microeconomics, non of which I will even be able to recall by the time I take my test Wednesday, I read through your "blog". Your entries made me laugh, smile, even cry. You are an amazing writer- I am blind for not knowing this until now! Great job and keep updating so I can avoid irrelevant pages of accounting, management, etc. in the future!

-your sis